A slab leak is often considered one of the single worst problems a home can experience, which is unfortunate considering the considerable investment your home probably was for your family already. Simply speaking, a slab leak is when the water pipes installed underneath the foundation or the concrete slab behind to burst and leak upwards into the home itself.
Detecting a Slab Leak
As a homeowner, there is no visible way to identify a slab leak on your own. Only professionals are capable of finding a slab leak, and only then by using high-tech tools and experience to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. You may suspect there is a leak by noticing the following signs, however…
- Significant increase in your monthly water bills
- The constant sound of running water
- Unexplainable mold growth
- Constant low water pressure
- Your baseboards are moist
- Wet flooring or carpets
- Your home’s foundation may begin to shift
If you notice any of these signs, call in a professional immediately to examine everything for a slab leak.
Repairing a Slab Leak
There are a few solutions to repair a slab leak, though some may require using a jack-hammer on the foundation. You can work with your contractor to select the best option for your needs.
- Epoxy Restoration – Epoxy restoration generally requires little demolition to your home. A contractor would simply need to create two access holes to get to the leak for repair.
- Re-Piping – Re-piping is often the chosen method when there are multiple leaks in the piping under your foundation. It is a thorough solution that permanently stops the leaks from occurring. New, durable piping systems will be installed in your home.
If you fear your foundation has been compromised due to a slab leak, contact General Plumbing today to speak with a professional. Call us at (561) 771-0086.