Preventing Clogged Garbage Disposals in West Palm Beach
The day after Thanksgiving is always incredibly busy. West Palm Beach residents battle the crowds to get the best Black Friday deals on everything from tricycles to electric toothbrushes. Local plumbers have their hands full as the phones start ringing, and they don’t stop. Garbage disposals have mysteriously become clogged or broken at dozens of West Palm Beach homes! Why is that?
It is simple as pumpkin pie! During Thanksgiving, there are more people over for dinner. With more people, there’s more food around. More food means more waste goes into the garbage disposal. A garbage disposal can handle a lot of use without becoming clogged or busted if the garbage disposal is used properly. At General Plumbing, our local plumbers are always happy to do a garbage disposal repair. We know you’ve got a lot of shopping to get done, so we hope that these tips will help you to avoid a clogged garbage disposal.
Tips for Preventing a Clogged Garbage Disposal at Your West Palm Beach Home
- Don’t put fibrous foods down the garbage disposal. Foods like pumpkin innards, celery, and corn husks can end up making a tangled mess in your garbage disposal. This causes the motor to jam or a stopped drain.
- Run cold water down the drain while the garbage disposal is running. The water will help the garbage disposal perform well and will flush out any remaining bits of food.
- Use your garbage disposal regularly. Like many appliances, if you don’t use an item for a long time, you can’t know for sure if it will work when you do. Using your garbage disposal year-round will help prevent the parts from ceasing up. It will also help prevent corrosion and rust.
- Throw those turkey and ham bones in the trash! A little tiny bit of bone won’t cause a problem, but the garbage disposal isn’t meant to be grinding large animal bones.
- Avoid putting rice and pasta into the garbage disposal. Because these foods expand with the addition of water, it’s best not to put them down the drain because they could cause a clog.
- Don’t put fats, greases, and cooking oils into the garbage disposal. These materials have a tendency to accumulate in the garbage disposal and impair the disposal’s ability to grind effectively.
Our plumbing contractors hope that these tips help you to keep your garbage disposal running great all through the holiday season. If you need help with a clogged garbage disposal, clogged drain, clogged toilet, or anything else that becomes clogged while you’ve got company, General Plumbing is here to help! We are the plumbing company you can rely on for all your residential plumbing and commercial plumbing needs in West Palm Beach, FL. You can always count on us to be friendly, dependable, and respectful. Don’t worry–General Plumbing Red Carpet Service includes plumbing emergency assistance 24 hours a day, including holidays. Our answering service operators will promptly connect you with one of our technicians, should you require assistance after regular business hours. We hope you have a relaxing and joyous Thanksgiving.