5 Tricks for Cleaning Your Showerhead
Regular use of any shower can cause mineral build up on the showerhead. This isn’t abnormal, but it doesn’t have to stay this way from now on. We’ve got 5 easy tricks for cleaning your showerhead at home to keep it looking sparkly and new!
Tips and Tricks
1. The number one DIY trick that most homeowners need for their showerhead cleaning is white vinegar. This simple kitchen ingredient goes a long way to remove the gunk on the head. Be sure to put a plastic bag around your shower head – tied tight with a rubber band – and slowly fill it with vinegar. Let the vinegar soak the head for several hours.
2. If your not comfortable with this process, you can just as easily take the showerhead off and clean it by hand with an old toothbrush and white vinegar. This has a similar effect and is faster, as you’re doing the work that the vinegar takes a while to do on its own.
3. For a bubbly, foaming sort of effect, you can try the plastic bag trick but with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Make sure the baking soda is dry and in the secured bag first, then slowly pour in the vinegar. This will need to set for some hours or even overnight.
4. If your showerhead has plastic tips on the end, sometimes you can apply pressure to these tips individually with your finger. This pressure and movement will help loosen some of the mineral debris and deposits that may have collected in those areas.
5. If there are still visible mineral deposits, don’t be afraid to use a toothpick in the showerhead holes. A toothpick isn’t long enough to do any damage and it really only just loosens the minerals so they can be washed out the next time the showerhead is used.
Your showerhead is going to accumulate build up; it’s inevitable. With these simple – DIY – cleaning tricks, you can easily have a clean showerhead in no time. More questions? General Plumbing is here to answer yours! 561-420-0442